Happy International Day of Happiness
The desire to have happy and fulfilling lives is our common thread and matters to all people.
The International Day of Happiness (known as Happiness Day) was founded by the United Nations in 2012, and is celebrated throughout the world on the 20th of March each year. The day recognizes the relevance of happiness and well-being as universal goals and aspirations in the lives of human beings around the world.
Action for Happiness tells us “happiness is about our lives as a whole: it includes the fluctuating feelings we experience everyday but also our overall satisfaction with life. It is influenced by our genes, upbringing and our external circumstances – such as our health, our work and our financial situation. But crucially it is also heavily influenced by our choices – our inner attitudes, how we approach our relationships, our personal values and our sense of purpose.”
We often think of happiness as how we feel, our emotional state in any given moment, which can be fleeting at best. It may be more helpful to think of happiness in terms of “doing.” Research supports the possibility of shifting into a happier state through the actions you choose. You may be able to boost your experience of happiness by doing something different, something new. In celebration of World Happiness Day, why not choose one small action – you may put into motion some big positive changes!
Here are a few links to delve deeper into happiness.
- International Day of Happiness – the official website of the International Day of Happiness
- Day of Happiness – Campaign coordinated by Action for Happiness
- 24hoursofhappy.com – Pharrell Williams 24-hour, interactive music video for “Happy.” The dancers include both anonymous extras and celebrities like Magic Johnson, Steve Carrell, and of course, Williams himself.
- Science of happiness online course – The free eight-week course explores the roots of a happy and meaningful life through science and practice. Offered by Greater Good: The Science of a Meaningful Life.
- 6 Habits of Happiness Worth Cultivating
- Four Ways Happiness Can Hurt You – Because like all things in life, it is all about finding a balance!