Finding Joy and Balance
That “most wonderful time of the year” is just around the corner, but it may also be “that most stressful, lonely and chaotic time for many of us. The dream of the perfect Christmas or holiday time, with all the food, the gifts, the parties, the decorations also includes elements such as expense, fatigue, sadness; high expectations…finding a good balance and enjoying the season can certainly be a challenge. Remembering to honour our self-care practice will help us to stay grounded at the core, which can bring much peace and good tidings to ourselves and those around us.
Some helpful tips to keep you balanced and enjoying this holiday season:
- Prioritize invitations and let go of some events.
- Get a massage.
- Go skating, skiing, or walking in the snow.
- Get enough sleep.
- Drinks lots of water.
- Get a manicure or pedicure.
- Take downtime to snooze, read, relax.
- Enjoy nature.
- Let go of the little stuff.
- Watch your favourite TV shows or movies.
- Share your baking with homebound people or lonely neighbours.
- Have realistic expectations.
- Stop to take a deep breath. Take another one.
- Keep old traditions alive, and be open to new ones.
- Listen to music that relaxes and/or energizes you.
- Go for a drive in the country, or to see the lights; stop for hot chocolate.
- Write in your journal.
- Meditate, practice mindfulness, or pray often.
- Set attainable decorating goals.
- Be flexible with timing, food, and schedules.
- Change your regular responses to aggravating family members.
- Don’t expect people to change (unless you change first).
- Adjust your perspective to include peace, compassion, and forgiveness.
- Be kind and gentle with yourself
- Seek professional help if you need it.
Remember to have some fun- consider taking the 24 Days of Wellness Challenge! Things don’t have to be perfect and you don’t have to be perfect. The holidays are a time to celebrate your life with loved ones. Let go of expectations and remember what really matters to you.